WELCOME

Daily drawings and visual meanderings from wannabe illustrator, Adam McHeffey.


Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Golden Triangle Celebrates Sendak

I received a great phone call the other day from an old school friend about doing the cover of the next edition of The Golden Triangle Writer's Circle-- an online literary magazine that features amazing work from writers and poets.

In celebration of Maurice Sendak's intensely prolific career and in commemoration of his recent passing, they requested a piece that had something to do with the man's work. I was ecstatic, nervous, and optimistic. I'm a huge fan of Sendak-- his stories, his lines, his textures-- so this was a project that I decided to take very seriously.

Here are a couple of sketches I submitted for their discussion. They've already made their choice with which will go to paint, but I won't tell you quite yet. Which one yells "Sendak" to you?


3 comments:

  1. The dancing girl reminds me of Kari. Comment out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with the first one. But they're both so "McHeffey"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I love Sendak, really nice illustration! I saw the finished version on Lockerz :) I didn't know you draw beside your lovely music! Nice. I'm illustrating myself. Have a look, hope you like it: http://www.behance.net/simonerohler

    ReplyDelete